[msmtp-users] Re: No 'From' Header

Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

> On Tue, 07. Mar 2006, 17:10:06 +0000, anon anon wrote:
> > Hello.  All the emails I send out using msmtp have a blank FROM
> > Envelope address.  Yes, I have auto_from configured in the global
> > configuration file.

> An envelope-from address does not appear anywhere in a mail. It is just
> the mail address that is given with the MAIL FROM: SMTP command.
> The last MTA (the one that delivers the mail, for example to a POP3 box)
> then adds a new "Return-Path:" header line to the mail that contains the
> envelope-from address.

The return-path header seems to be added fine, but the 'From' address isn't
added.  Most mail clients (all except Linuxmail.org) which receive an email
using my setup have 'unknown sender' as the envelope-from address, even though
on closer inspection, the 'return-path' is correct.

It's not exactly clear to me where this is supposed to be added.  Does the
SMTP server (the MTA in this case) normally add this header?  If that is the case,
it seems to be failing to do so.  Is it just a matter of reconfiguring the mail
server to add a 'From' envelope address?

> So, in your example,
> your envelope-from address seems to be bob@...41...

It should be, perhaps, but 'From' isn't being added at all.

> > Explicitly usig the 'From' header doesn't work either, as it only
> > alters the 'Return-path' and not the Envelope header.
>
> A "From:" header is unrelated to the envelope-from address (although it
> often contains the same address). Setting a "From:" header should not
> alter the envelope-from address (displayed in the "Return-Path:" header)
> in any way. How do you set the "From:" header? And what do you mean with
> "Envelope header"?

OK, I'm sending mail using the following:

I call 'mail' from the command line, which then calls msmtp (msmtp is acting
like sendmail), which then connects to an SMTP server on the internal network
in order to deliver the mail.

Recipient emails always appear to come from 'unknown sender' when casually
browsing using 'brief' mail headers in most clients.  The only exception is
linuxmail.org, which must copy the return-path to create a 'From' address.

The return-path is always present and always correct.  The problem is simply
with the envelope From address.

I tried configuring my .mailrc file, using set from="myname@...42...", but that
didn't work.  Do I need to configure the SMTP server?

> Best regards,
> Martin

Many thanks for your time and help.

- Liberte