Re: [msmtp-users] Re: No 'From' Header

On Wed, 08. Mar 2006, 12:18:34 +0000, anon anon wrote:
> OK, I'm sending mail using the following:
>
> I call 'mail' from the command line, which then calls msmtp (msmtp is acting
> like sendmail), which then connects to an SMTP server on the internal network
> in order to deliver the mail.

Normally, the "From:" header is created by the mail user agent (Mutt,
mail, ...). But according to the original sendmail man page, sendmail
may add a "From:" header if one is missing. Maybe your version of 'mail'
depends on this behaviour and expects msmtp to add a "From:" header.
Currently, msmtp does not alter the mail in any way (except removing a
"Bcc:" header if one is present).

Maybe msmtp should add a "From:" header if none is present? I just
tested my postfix /usr/sbin/sendmail; it adds this header, too.
What do others think?

Is there any way to add custom headers to mails generated with 'mail'?
Then you could add a "From:" header yourself.
On my Debian system, this can be done with the -a option, for example
$ mail -a "From: me@...38..."
On my NetBSD system, though, 'mail' does not support -a.

Regards,
Martin