Re: [msmtp-users] msmtp-1.2.4 and errors with mail server

On Tue, 07. Dec 2004, 22:06:38 -0500, James B. Hiller wrote:
> a.  Email that I send out doesn't seem to have a From line.  I DID twiddle
> the elm compile option related to this - the first iteration, the option
> value was that the MTA (sendmail) could be expected to include a From, and
> the second iteration, I changed this to could NOT be expected to include
> a From.

Can you verify that elm really adds a From: header? It is unlikely that msmtp
deletes it. Maybe you can set your mailer to '/bin/cat > /tmp/dumpmail' and
then examine the file. Or try the --debug option of msmtp.

> b.  When I come at the server cold, the first email I send seems to work just
> fine.  But every one after that generates an error back to elm, and the capture
> in the msmtp log is:
>
> errormsg='the SMTP server does not support authentication' exitcode=EX_UNAVAILABLE

This is really strange. Please try --debug to see the whole SMTP
session. You can use
echo "hello" | msmtp --debug --account=test -- me@...8...
as a simple test without starting elm.

> c.  Thinking that maybe I could get past this by using tls, I included
>
> tls
>
> in the config file.  But this time, I get a runtime error that:
>
> TLS certificate check failed: the certificate's owner does not match hostname.

You can use tls_nocertcheck to ignore the peer certificate.
But using TLS should be completely unrelated to the issues above...

Martin