[msmtp-users] msmtp-1.2.4 and errors with mail server

Hi list!

I have a scenario similar to the other one posted on the list, in Aug 04,
but kinda in reverse.

I'm encountering the increased resistance of dynamic IP block lists, and
in general am willing and able to push my mail through the ISP server
(thx for making this utility just for that!).  I have two ISPs at my
disposal, and have been trying so far to work with the first one's server.
I've encountered some runtime responses and behaviors that I don't know how
to deal with.

I use linux 2.6.9, my own hand-maintained environment but loosely
Slackwarish, and elm 2.5.6 - elm would be my desired choice of MUA to
make msmtp work with.  I have no clue what mail server my ISP is using.

The behaviors I need help with right now are:

a.  Email that I send out doesn't seem to have a From line.  I DID twiddle
the elm compile option related to this - the first iteration, the option
value was that the MTA (sendmail) could be expected to include a From, and
the second iteration, I changed this to could NOT be expected to include
a From.

Side note - been using this particular compiled version of elm since 2001
with complete success and routine review of everything it's doing; and I used
the same config parameters to build it to work with msmtp, EXCEPT for this
option on the From.

b.  When I come at the server cold, the first email I send seems to work just
fine.  But every one after that generates an error back to elm, and the capture
in the msmtp log is:

errormsg='the SMTP server does not support authentication' exitcode=EX_UNAVAILABLE

The config file I'm using is:

host mail.isp.domain
from userid@...6...
user userid
password thepassword
domain isp.domain
logfile ~/msmtp.log

c.  Thinking that maybe I could get past this by using tls, I included

tls

in the config file.  But this time, I get a runtime error that:

TLS certificate check failed: the certificate's owner does not match hostname.

which of course appears to be from gnutls (using version 1.0.13).  The
ISP behind this server is not interested in doing certificate management
the right way, so if this error is a truly a certificate management
issue, it probably isn't going to get fixed.

So.....

I'm hoping someone would be able to guide me along in getting myself
fixed.  As an alternative, I would like very much to find out if there's
some way I can coax the ISP's mail server to tell me whether it's set up
to allow relaying - if it is, then I could use it as a relay, as was
suggested to the August thread.  But I can't rely on the ISP folks to
tell me correctly whether it is or not, because most of the ones I can
reach are, well, challenged.

Thx!
jbh