Re: [msmtp-users] msmtp-1.2.4 and errors with mail server

Hi Martin!  Thanks for your quick reply!

> On Tue, 07. Dec 2004, 22:06:38 -0500, James B. Hiller wrote:
> > a.  Email that I send out doesn't seem to have a From line.  I DID twiddle
> > the elm compile option related to this - the first iteration, the option
> > value was that the MTA (sendmail) could be expected to include a From, and
> > the second iteration, I changed this to could NOT be expected to include
> > a From.
>
> Can you verify that elm really adds a From: header? It is unlikely that msmtp
> deletes it. Maybe you can set your mailer to '/bin/cat > /tmp/dumpmail' and
> then examine the file. Or try the --debug option of msmtp.

First step, having an issue.  Spent a couple hours tonight trying to do
this one, failing.  The syntax of the cat as you have it above doesn't
get anything.  If I make it '/bin/cat - > /tmp/dumpmail', I do get stuff
in a file, but what looks like the 'from' line is getting parsed by elm
as a file name, so this syntax can't be right either.

Sorry I can't figure this out myself, but is there some syntax a little
better that should work?  I just can't get this one right.  For ref,
the 'usual' answer is /full/path/to/MTA/binary (i.e. /usr/sbin/sendmail),
which of course runs as a daemon, and I'm pretty sure it's just treated
as a data sink - so what you/I have should more or less work.  But it's
not (except for the /bin/cat - case).

Thx!
jbh