Re: [msmtp-users] Proxy support patch

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Matus:
>>Is it necessary to invoke new dependencies on third party libraries?
>
> It's better than reinvent the wheel, risk new (security) bugs etc.

Socks5 code itself is very small. Reviewing a cut/paste
to spec from OpenBSD/nc or any other compatible inclusion
wouldn't be hard. And whether socks5 written from nothing, copied,
or included via library, you still have to make a bunch of changes
to msmtp to hook it in. So I don't buy this.

>> Especially one that hasn't been maintained since 2005?
> This one _is_ an issue.

This additional drawback to 'third party'... when sourceforge/antinat
vanishes, nobody can build because some rare tarball gone.
Better to literally just add socks5 code to msmtp/mpop repo.

> libsocksd0 from dante package

Dante is on my socks5 list to look at. It's linked from the
WP SOCKS page. As is this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_proxifiers

> libproxychains3 from proxychains package

Dead since 2006. And does anyone really go to the
work of using such manual and generally illicit chains
rather than Tor/VPN's? I'd bet you could 'torsocks torsocks'
with dual configs. So probably see maintained torsocks instead.