Re: [msmtp-users] SMTP 550 5.7.1 error with MS Exchange Server

Matus,

Thanks for your reply.  As it turns out, I am able to send for reasons that are not clear to me.  My test email command called the default account (Work) which was also the .msmtprc default (Work).  But where the test.email method failed, sending from the mu/mu4e client in Emacs worked.  I changed nothing.  So my account "works" but I don't know why.  A little unsatisfying after spending so much time trying to solve this but at least my credentials are in order.

But now, I've encountered a new difficulty.  My work machine is running OSX (10.9) and provides the following when I run "msmtp --v":

wills-Mac-Pro:~ wmonro1$ msmtp --v
msmtp version 1.4.32
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0
TLS/SSL library: OpenSSL
Authentication library: built-in
Supported authentication methods:
plain cram-md5 external login
IDN support: disabled
NLS: disabled
Keyring support: MacOS
System configuration file name: /usr/local/Cellar/msmtp/1.4.32/etc/msmtprc
User configuration file name: /Users/wmonro1/.msmtprc

Note the lack of ntlm authentication in the supported authentication methods.  Does anyone have advice on how to troubleshoot the installation of msmtp so that it supports NTLM on OSX?  I've been using brew to install msmtp which provides the following, very terse feedback:

==> ./configure --with-macosx-keyring --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/msmtp/1.4.32 --with-ssl=openssl
==> make install
 /usr/local/Cellar/msmtp/1.4.32: 9 files, 304K, built in 15 seconds

I'd prefer to use a package manager like brew or macports for this purpose but I don't mind building my own from source.  I just don't know how to ensure that ntlm support is also installed.  Configuration flags?

Will

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@...186...> wrote:
On 10.08.14 20:25, Will Monroe wrote:
># work email
>account    Work
>host       EMAIL.WORK.COM
>auth      ntlm
>domain    WORK.COM
>ntlmdomain WORKDOMAIN
>port       587
>from       FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME@...369...
>user       USERNAME

><-- 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
>msmtp: the server did not accept the mail
>msmtp: server message: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
>msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/will/.msmtprc)
>will@...370...:~$

>I've looked up the error codes here and found the following:
>
>550 "Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable"
>http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/tech/smtpreplies.html
>
>5.7.1 "The sender is not authorized to send to the destination. This can be
>the result of per-host or per-recipient filtering.  This memo does not
>discuss the merits of any such filtering, but provides a mechanism to
>report such.  This is useful only as a permanent error."
>http://www.iana.org/assignments/smtp-enhanced-status-codes/smtp-enhanced-status-codes.xhtml

don't care about 550 and 5.7.1.
Read the message:

Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

exchange refused either your From: or your "mail from:".
Are you connecting as the proper user?

Btw, why NTLM? Does not your exchange support better authentication methods?
(plain, login, with SSL they should be safe)

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@...186... ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.