[msmtp-users] Name resolution error with msmtp 1.4.31 under Cygwin in Windows 8.1

Hello,

I just installed a dual-boot Linux and Windows 8.1 machine. I'm running
the latest Cygwin (x86_64) on the Windows 8 machine, a large part of
which is so that I can get access to my mutt/offlineimap/msmtp setup.

I've run into a strange problem with msmtp under Cygwin. I've copied
over the ~/.msmtprc configuration from my Linux machine, but when
running msmtp there I get the following error:

msmtp: cannot locate host <my.mail.host>: Non-recoverable failure in
name resolution
msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/<user>/.msmtprc)

No other programs are having name resolution errors. I can telnet to the
appropriate port on the host, and this behaviour happens no matter what
smtp server I put in the config file. I've tried replacing the hostname
in the config file with an IP address directly, with no effect.  I've
also used msmtp-config to build the simplest possible config file I
could manage.  I've also just reproduced this on another Windows 8.1
machine.

I also noticed that if I run 'msmtp --host=<my.mail.host>' (with
appropriate other switches) then it seems to work fine, although I
haven't actually gone through the full process of sending an email;
there are certainly no name resolution errors, though.

I've also tried this with msmtp 1.4.31 built from source. I had a vague
idea at first that it might be related to libidn, so I tried with that
disabled as well. No luck there.

Because it looked like it might be some sort of issue with the
configuration file, I tried running that through unix2dos just in case
there was some problem with reading the file under Windows. No luck
there either.

I've had a very quick run through gdb to see if anything obvious was
wrong. That was enough to verify that the hostname does seem to be read
from the configuration file, but I haven't isolated exactly where the
error is occurring.

I'm almost completely out of ideas at this point. Any help would be
appreciated!

Joss

--
Joss Wright | @JossWright