Re: [msmtp-users] patch to ignore comments, and broken build

Hi!

Sorry for the late answer...

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:35:41 -0400, Jeremy Audet wrote:
> Just installed msmtp last night. I discovered that the config file
> syntax is rather limited; comments must exist on their own line,
> separate from actual config settings. So while the following is legal:
> # from: shown in email "from" field
> # user, password: for SMTP authentication
> account   gmail
> host      smtp.gmail.com
> port      587
> from      ichimonji10@...301...
> user      ichimonji10@...20...
>
> The following is not legal:
> account   gmail
> host      smtp.gmail.com
> port      587
> from      ichimonji10@...301... # from: shown in email "from"
> field user      ichimonji10@...20... # user, password: for SMTP
> authentication
>
> Or, more accurately, the "from" configuration option will be set to '
> ichimonji10@...301... # from: shown in email "from" field'. I
> cloned the repo on sourceforge and wrote up a patch. However, I was
> unable to sucessfully build the software so as to test it (autohell
> strikes again!). You can find my patch and build output
> here<http://pastebin.com/AjNRq3jc>and
> here <http://pastebin.com/gGKNh69b>, respectively. Have fun, and I
> hope someone else can test out the patch.

Independent of the question of whether or not in-line comments are a
good thing (they probably are for many people), I'm afraid we cannot
apply the patch since it would potentially break existing user
configuration files.

As for the build problem: use 'autoreconf -i' to create a configure
script, not just 'autoconf'. This will call all the obscure
autotools commands in the right order.

Martin