Re: [msmtp-users] How to make msmtp trust a specific certificate (not a CA certificate, not a self-signed one)

Good morning!

Martin Lambers wrote (Sun 2010-Feb-07 12:09:06 +0100):

> The current git version now has a tls_fingerprint command and
> corresponding --tls-fingerprint option.
>
> This can be used to trust one particular certificate, regardless of its
> contents.

Pulled, built, and tested: works great for me, thanks a lot!

I may add that there seems to be a (small, theoretical) risk
with the way command-line arguments are treated: At least
"--tls-fingerprint" can be given multiple times, and the value
of the last one supersedes the value of previous ones. Since
"Mutt" wants to add "-f <envelopefrom>", "--" can't be used to
tell "msmtp" that only recipients' email addresses are supposed
to follow, and there might be a chance that someone could make
me send an email addressed to "--host=mail.badguy.com
--tls-fingerprint=...", so that the bad guy gets a chance to
sniff my password.

Personally, I'm using a small wrapper script anyway, so I'm
already happy with the way it is now. :-)

Thanks again,

Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  <mcg@...213...>  ·  https://cheers.de