[msmtp-users] Can't get cron to deliver emails via msmtp

[vixie cron and msmtp 1.4.17 on Gentoo Linux]

Hi,

I'd like cron to send any email to my mail provider. This worked with a
local postfix but I'd prefer not to have a SMTP and a POP/IMAP server
running on my machine just for delivering cron emails.

My personal crontab contains:

# don't think this is necessary but just to be sure
"MAILTO=thorsten"
  *     *      *     *       *     echo ALARM

My ~/.msmtprc contains
#
account default
from thorsten@...212...
host in1.smtp.messagingengine.com
#

When I test msmtp with "msmtp thorsten@...212..." it works. But
the syslog only shows
[cron] (thorsten) CMD (echo ALARM)
[cron] (thorsten) MAIL (mailed 6 bytes of output but got status 0x0041

I also tried to copy ~/.msmtprc to /etc/msmtprc without any change.

Can anyone help me to solve this enigmatic cron error?!

Thorsten