[msmtp-users] "to" address without domain

Hi there,
I've setup a little server using debian lenny, msmtp 1.4.15-1.

All mail generated from this server is sent to another machine.

msmtp is working fine for this purpose, but there is a little glitch.

mail reports from some application (for example logcheck, crontab) is sent to root.

The other machine rejects the mail saying:

send-mail: recipient address root not accepted by the server
send-mail: server message: 504 5.5.2 <root>: Recipient address rejected: need fully-qualified address

If I could set a default domain for all "missing domain" local users, the mail could be sent to root@...38... and it would work fine.
Is there any way to set the domain for the root or other local users?

I'm not an experienced user, so may be that this can be set somewhere in a .*rc file for the root user but I have no clue...

I know that I could set the mail environment variable in the crontab or in the logcheck, but this way I would need to change many files, while I would like to have a single point to look to eventually change the "to" address of all generated mails.

Any suggestion, hints or something else would be appreciated!

Thanks, larzeni