Re: [mpop-users] timeout

Hi!

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:27:39 +0300, fr33domlover wrote:
> On 2014-10-16
> Ángel González <angel@...54...> wrote:
>
> > fr33domlover wrote:
> > > I'm simply running mpop from a cron job with a regular config
> > > file, actually. But clearly it stops due to timeout (or I stop it
> > > manually), and next time the "downloading message X or Y" starts
> > > where it stopped last time, not with 1 - maybe the previously
> > > downloaded ones are found and used?
> >
> > *That* makes sense. mpop tries hard not to duplicate messages. That
> > it continues where it left is fine.
> > The odd thing was that from your old email, it seemed like delivery
> > of the first messages didn't happen until after the second fetch.
> >

> > (There's still the issue of timeouts that shouldn't be happening,
> > though)
>
> Yeah, I'm getting TLS timeout for my main POP account, which uses
> many mailing lists and therefore gets a lot of mail (I check once in
> 30 minutes). But nothing unusual - 80 new messages shouldn't be
> critically big, I hope.

Absolutely not! Mpop was tested with mail boxes in the gigabyte range
and tens of thousands of messages. Scalability is an important goal for
us.

> I'm getting this in stderr:
>
> mpop: cannot read from TLS connection: the operation timed out
> mpop: error during mail retrieval

Does this only happen when mpop is run from cron, or does it also
happen when you run it manually?
If only from cron: can you show us how you call mpop from cron?
If always: does it happen with other POP clients, too?

> Is debian's mpop 1.0.27 stable? Maybe I should try a more recent
> version?

1.0.27 is stable. There were only small changes since then, none of
them important.