Re: [mpop-users] timeout

Hello,

On 2014-10-15
"Martin Lambers" <marlam@...1...> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 00:57:53 +0300, fr33domlover wrote:
> > Recently I started using mpop on my mail server. It seemed to work
> > fine for a while, until I noticed some strange behavior. It's not a
> > critical bug but still strange: I had an external e-mail account with
> > 70 new messages. When mpop started downloading them, it got stuck
> > after about 16. After a minute or so it complained "TLS timeout".
> >
> > After 30 minutes, cron ran mpop again, and it downloaded another 16
> > messages, again with the same problem. Eventually it reached the
> > point it had just few left, which it successfully downloaded and
> > submitted the entire batch of 70 messages to SMTP successfully.
>
> This sounds very strange.
>
> Mpop downloads and delivers in one pass; I don't see how it could
> happen that on a first run it downloads some messages, on the second
> some more, and only then delivers them all. On the second run, it
> cannot know about the first run anymore.
>
> What exactly is your setup? Is it possible that there is something else
> going on?
>
> Martin

I'm simply running mpop from a cron job with a regular config file, actually.
But clearly it stops due to timeout (or I stop it manually), and next time the
"downloading message X or Y" starts where it stopped last time, not with 1 -
maybe the previously downloaded ones are found and used?

Anyway, for now the problem isn't coming back. I do see TLS tieouts in the
log but I can't tell whether they were caused by the same problem or not
(I'll check in the next runs). But there's something else, maybe of the same
source:

I just had a POP mailbox with 80 new messages. After downloading 30% of the
first once, it gets stuck. When I download with an MUA, it does work. Maybe
something is causing my mpop process to get stuck after downloading a certain
volume of messages?

-- fr33