Re: [msmtp-users] msmtp: project hosting / mailing list

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 1:58 PM, Martin Lambers via msmtp-users
<msmtp-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I am currently think about moving msmtp away from SourceForge, most
> likely to a gitlab instance (but probably not on gitlab.com).
>
> While looking into what would need to be moved, I noticed that I did
> not receive mails from this list since last August. Turns out
> SourceForge unsubscribed me from this list for some unknown reason
> (which does not exactly reinforce my trust in the platform).

They sent some announcements about that.
I think you had to click to not be unsubbed.
Sourceforge is a prior generation tool.
Fyi, Github sold out to Microsoft but probably won't
be cannibalized.

> 13 mails in more than 10 months is not really a lot, so I don't think
> having this mailing list (or some replacement) still makes sense. An
> RSS feed for announcements might be enough.
>
> What do you think?

Of general note for many projects...

The archives of all the lists need published somewhere
in original plain text so people can import and read / reference
them locally independant of whatever web interface the
list service imposes.
Make sure archives include for proper threading and use:
from, to, cc, message-id, in-reply-to, references

Any git works for code.
Tickets are fine for single scope.
As are wikis for general static info.
Yet all projects also should have some form of archivable
searchable list / forum for freeform convo. Forums are
generally a garbage interface and not archived, so
knowledge stays centralized and lost with them.

You can probably sign up a list here, set it to auto
publish the new archives, and import the old ones...