Re: [msmtp-users] Feedback on feature request: sending over local socket?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@...186...> wrote:
>>On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Martin Lambers <marlam@...23...> wrote:
>>> Bastien Roucaries suggested to add an option "--socket" to allow sending
>>> mail over a local socket (aka UNIX domain socket). His suggested
>>> application was having that socket forwarded over ssh, possibly
>>> automated via systemd; he prefers local sockets for this purpose because
>>> they allow better access control than TCP sockets.
>
> On 30.03.17 13:20, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>>I should add I will maitain it and add precommand and postcommand if
>>needed in order to create ssh tunnel.
>>
>>The best about socket is socket activation, that is system will
>>automagically open the tunnel for you prompting for password (using
>>pinentry and ssh agent) if needed.
>>
>>This is really nice in a roadwarrior context
>
> what's wrong with using ssh port forwarding?

Port are accessible to all user of machine... Permission are better
set on socket.

> or, running msmtp via ssh tunnel on remote machine?

It need to include msmtp on remote machine.

Here distant:25 is redirected to local socket.

Bastien