Re: [msmtp-users] msmtp 1.6.0rc1 is released!

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:50:55 -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> How would such overrides be given to msmtp?
> It would seem to be needed on the command line
> or in the config, since the 'DATA' part sent is I think already
> parsed/interpreted by msmtp if it's missing/NULL or not
> matchable by msmtp. So maybe like...
>
> --rfc-body-from="<string|NULL>" , where NULL may be said by just
> '=""'. --rfc-body-date="<string|NULL>" , where NULL may be said by
> just '=""'.

I think we can do something simpler: just tell msmtp that it should not
add missing Date/From headers. The user then has full control over the
mail headers and can put anything in them. No need to even tell msmtp
about it, since it should not care.

Given the current style of command/options, maybe
add_missing_from_header on|off
add_missing_date_header on|off
(and for consistency maybe
remove_bcc_header on|off
to replace the keepbcc command, but of course with backwards
compatibility).

> [I don't like the phrase 'sendmail [interface] compliant'. Sendmail is
> no longer sole and king by default. In fact, others such as postfix
> have risen well, such that 'RFC compliant' is probably the more useful
> phrase now, to which all competing MTA's need adhere.
>
> Does anyone know of a community/formally developed spec/doc/link for
> the MTA/MSA 'commandline interface' as called by MUA's (other than
> "just clone what sendmail does"?]

No, that's just it. Sendmail was first and set the "standard" for
everyone else, with all its quirks and weaknesses. Even if somebody
would write a specification or RFC now, nobody would care, because
all programs must continue to work unchanged, so you have to be
sendmail-compatible no matter what some spec says.

Martin