Re: [msmtp-users] Generating a From: header if it is missing

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Martin Lambers <marlam@...23...> wrote:
>> My only thought is that via some msmtp options it should be possible
>> to send NULL or literally arbitrary data for any/all elements [1] of
>> the transaction, even if for no other reason than testing the
>> behavior of your [own] SMTP server. Such as how the server mangles
>> the mail you give it.

> need a lower-level tool like telnet, netcat, or gnutls-cli.

They're a bit hard to question/response interactively with finicky
or impatient servers, they usually work for one-offs. Somewhere
I scripted msmtp to iterate through and send nulls for the various
fields in the past as part of a server survey, though I may have
patched it to allow that. It's also nice to see what the server thinks
the various fields should be before choosing to mimic or change
them by supplying your own.

Another minor example, a Tor user may wish to mimic
the strftime and timezone date format that the server
uses in country rather than leaking their own into it from
abroad as a replacement. Without being able to send a
null to see, and if the server does not override what was
supplied, the user would have no basis to mimic. Well,
other than basing on some possibly different received headers.
Though you could just choose Thunderbird/Outlook format.
There may even be a proper spec for that.

> In my opinion, not adding From and Date headers if they were missing
> was simply a bug which is now fixed.

Yes of course by default. I was only thinking of nulls as an option.
Anyway it's not of much importance.

> is there something significantly new that msmtp needs to take into
> account?

I didn't diff them so no idea, they're just good to have around :)

Thanks for the socks5 work people, I posted it to the Tor list.