Re: [msmtp-users] Proxy support patch

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:08:04 -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Martin Lambers <marlam@...23...>
> wrote:
> > OK, I pushed the patch to the git repository, complete with new
> > proxy_host and proxy_port commands and corresponding options, and
> > documentation.
> >
> > Please test.
>
> The docs don't say anything about which socks version is
> actually supported for the user. They need to say socks5.

I added a note to the documentation.

> Consider a --proxy-type option default of socks5, incase
> someone adds 4/4a/CONNECT or some other type later.

We can add such an option then. In the current discussion, no reason
came up to support older SOCKS versions or HTTP proxies. Nevertheless,
a --proxy-type option, when added later, can default to SOCKS5 for
compatibility.

> --proxy-host / proxy_host should say [IP|hostname]

OK, corrected.

> --proxy-port / proxy_port should say [number|name]

No, it really needs to be a number. You can pass service names to
getaddrinfo(), but msmtp has never supported that (since getaddrinfo()
did not exist when msmtp was written), so --proxy-port accepts only
numbers, just like --port.

> Zero is a valid, well known, seen on the net, yet reserved port
> number. So you probably want these to be NULL and < 0 || > 65535 ||
> NULL, etc ...
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml

Zero really is reserved, as mentioned on that list, and has been
assigned some special meaning under certain circumstances, so it really
is not valid for SMTP (or any other typical network service). It's ok
to disallow it. See man 3 socket: you cannot create a socket using port
0.

Regards,
Martin