Re: [msmtp-users] install msmtp in a non-priviledge user account

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 10:51:21AM -0500, Daniel Ajoy wrote:
> Is it possible to install msmtp in a non-priviledge user account?
>
> I unpacked a precompiled deb package, but when I tried to run it I got:
>
> ./msmtp: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls-deb0.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I unpacked libgnutls-deb0.so.28 from it's own package in the same folder but msmtp still shows the same error.
>
> Daniel

It's not in the system's path to search for shared libraries is why. You
can change LD_LIBRARY_PATH to have the directory that the library file
is in, but you would need to make sure it was set every time you wanted
to run it. Check out man 8 ld.so for more info on this. I would honestly
suggest making grabbing the source, as long as you have a compiler, and
just building a copy where the SSL library is either on the box (openssl
is prolly on there) or statically linking it against the library of your
choice.

Most configure scripts, including msmtp's one, will take a --prefix
option that you can set to something like ~/.local/bin or something and
just have that added to your PATH in your profile.

CustaiCo