Re: [msmtp-users] manpage bug

>> > It still says ssmtp on my
>> > system, though smtps seems to be accepted as an alias.
>>
>> Here's mine, which does not recognize ssmtp...
>>
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.0/etc/services?view=markup
>
> OK, that's a good reason to switch to the new name. Patch is pushed.

Cool.

> I wonder why the BSD /etc/services does not support aliases. The
> history of the file indicates that the service was called smtps for a
> very long time, but so far no BSD user complained - maybe the alias
> "ssmtp" is accepted through another mechanism on these systems?

You may find the /etc/services documentation here:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.0/share/man/man5/services.5?view=markup

BSD's do support aliases therein. There is just no such
alias defined out of the box:
telnet localhost ssmtp
localhost: servname not supported for ai_socktype

No complaints could be either user not using it, or defined
the alias themselves.