Re: [msmtp-users] Aliases patch

Hi Scott!

On 27/09/11 21:51, sshumate@...269... wrote:
> Attached is a git patch for your consideration that adds aliases support for
> local addresses.  Snippets from the docs are shown below.  Let me know if there
> is anything you would like to see added or changed.

First of all, thank you very much for your work, and sorry for the late
reply.

I like the patch and the approach. I can see that aliases support would
be useful for some applications, and it is a good idea to not try and
implement full MTA-compatible alias support with multiple expansions,
include files, command piping and so on, but only a subset that makes
sense to use with msmtp and avoids much of the complexity.

About the concerns raised about added complexity vs. keeping msmtp
minimal: I think we can afford to add this patch. There were only very
few small feature additions since 1.4.0 was released 6.5 years ago, so I
don't think msmtp is suffering from bloat. Furthermore, the cleanup in
version 1.4.24 reduced the code size significantly, so that even with
the aliases patch the 1.4.24 binary is smaller than the 1.4.23 binary on
my system.

That said, I personally do not need aliases functionality, and I would
like to get some feedback from people who would use this. Alejandro,
Ovidiu: you asked about aliases support in msmtp before; does this patch
fulfill your needs? Can you test it?

Martin