Re: [msmtp-users] RETURNED 78

On 30/06/10 19:41, Michael Dubendris wrote:
> Hi msmtp-users,
> I have an issue I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure if this is the
> right place to look, but I think you might be able to help. I'm
> currently trying to configure request tracker helpdesk software, which
> utilizes msmtp by piping e-mail to it. I am receiving an error message
> which I cannot figure out, and the line is as follows:
>
> RTmailer: CALL /usr/local/bin/msmtp -nt -oi -t
> --from=helpdesk@...53... <mailto:helpdesk@...53...> RETURNED 78
>
> I'm not sure what this 78 error code is that msmtp is throwing and I
> havent' found any reference to it by searching online. Is anyone
> familiar with what this means?

The return codes are defined in the traditional BSD header file
/usr/include/sysexits.h. Msmtp uses them for compatibility with most
other BSD/Linux mail software (sendmail, postfix, spamassassin, ...).
You can look the codes up here:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/include/sysexits.h?rev=1.7&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=MAIN

78 means EX_CONFIG: Configuration error. There is probably something
wrong in the msmtp configuration file. If you run msmtp from the command
line, it will probably tell you what the problem is.

Martin