Re: [msmtp-users] Secure emacs send

Hi!

On Thu, 13. Aug 2009, 20:31:12 -0700, Justin Heyes-Jones wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way to specify an account password at the
> command line when running msmtp?

No, that is currently not possible because the command line can be seen
by other users and processes.

With some shells, you can work around this by creating a configuration
file on the fly:
msmtp -C <(echo "account default"; echo "user ..."; echo "password ..."; ...) -- ...

A good solution for GUI environments is to use keyrings. Currently only
the keyrings of GNOME and MacOS are supported. I don't know if Windows
has something similar.

Yet another solution would be to let emacs prompt msmtp for the password
(this works in a terminal), but this is probably not easy.  Mutt does
not allow this, either.

Regards,
Martin