Re: [msmtp-users] msmtp + tls (trust,key,cert) files + Gmail

Martin Lambers <marlam <at> marlam.de> writes:

> This should not happen since tls is active. How did you test this?

I could not verify anything, but I was under the impression that
passwords would still be sent in clear text, prompting the ssl
connection which would only then be encrypted.

> Does gmail.com support this at all?

I assumed it did. In retrospect, no support for it would be very
likely.

> You cannot just create your own certificate. The service provider
> needs to create one for you, or at least sign it.

Again, I assumed that it was possible to have a free self-signed cert.
I've managed ssl cert auth with oftc irc networks, and thought it
to be a fairly ubiquitous technique