[msmtp-users] msmtp + tls (trust,key,cert) files + Gmail

Hello,
I have successfully created a config to allow smtp connections over ssl to gmail
with:

 $cat .msmtprc

 host smtp.gmail.com
 port 587
 protocol smtp
 auth on
 from ootput@...20...
 user ootput@...20...
 tls on
 tls_starttls on
 tls_trust_file /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.crt

Now, I've noticed that the password from my .netrc is sent in plain text across
the internet to the smtp server; ideally, I would like to be able to send a
client certificate in it's place.

I've read the manpage for msmtp, but I'm still unsure as to which file goes
where. I've tried variations of files for tls_key_file and tls_cert_file to no
avail.

 $ openssl req -nodes -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout nick.key -x509 -days 365 -out
nick.cer

Int this case, I've tried specifying tls_cert_file = nick.cer, and tls_key_file
= nick.key, but again, unable to verify keys.

Would could I be doing wrong?