Re: [msmtp-users] Please help: 'configure' can't find GnuTLS although installed

Hi!

On Sun, 08. Mar 2009, 21:15:26 +0100, mynewsaccount@...135... wrote:
> My mail provider (GMX) tells me that in a few days they will refuse
> logging in with APOP or CRAM-MD5. I am to please switch to SSL or TLS,
> according to their mail.

Yes, MD5 is broken, and SSL/TLS not only prevents sending cleartext
passwords, it also make sure that the host you're connecting to is the
right one (preventing man-in-the-middle attacks) and encrypts the whole
SMTP session.

> As I am currently running msmtp 1.4.13 and in the login procedure see
> that msmtp logs in using CRAM-MD5, I understand I will have to
> upgrade... or am I wrong?

No, the openSUSE 10.3 msmtp package should already support SSL (TLS is
just another name for SSL). You just need to switch it on. You can put
the following in your configuration file:

account ...
host mail.gmx.net
tls on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/thawteCp.pem

If the file /etc/ssl/certs/thawteCp.pem does not exist, install the
package openssl-certs.

> configure can't find the GnuTLS 1.6.1 or openSSL 0.9.7g that I do have
> installed, in spite of trying to point it the right way with
> ./configure  --with-libgnutls-prefix=/usr/lib64, and I'm just not good
> enough at shell programming to tweak configure accordingly.

You need to install the package gnutls-devel (or libopenssl-devel).
That's because to compile a program, you not only need the binary
library that is provided by the gnutls (or libopenssl) package, but also
the header files.

Martin