[msmtp-users] TLS woes

So I'm trying to get msmtp to talk to one of my company's mail servers. It does TLS on port 25, and I can get my mail client (Mail.app) to talk to it fine. But msmtp just yields:

"TLS handshake failed: A record packet with illegal version was received."

My TLS settings are:
tls             = on
tls_trust_file  = (not set)
tls_key_file    = (not set)
tls_cert_file   = (not set)
tls_starttls    = off
tls_certcheck   = off

I did a test run watching the traffic in ethereal. The thing that caught my attention was a:
Response: 502 Error: command not implemented

That came from the server. But because it's TLS I can't see what's happening from ethereal and I can't find a way to get msmtp to spit out what it's sending when using TLS either.

I'm guessing the server is screwy, but I don't have any control over that. So I'll have to find a way to make msmtp (or another similar program) to play with the weird kid.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mat