Re: [mpop-users] filter: how to tell mpop to stop retrieving message headers?

Hi!

On Thu, 28 May 2015 10:25:40 -0300, Douglas A. Augusto wrote:
> I have a mpop filter script that examines each message (old and new)
> on the server and deletes them based on how old they are. For
> instance, messages successfully retrieved by mpop and that are 30
> days old or more are killed.
>
> This approach has been working very well so far, but I would like
> optimize it. I have observed that usually only the first chunk of
> messages are considered too old and so they are killed; the
> remaining, which represent a much bigger set, are just skipped (not
> too old to be deleted). Thus, I would like to tell mpop to stop
> retrieving other message headers as soon I notice that no message is
> being deleted anymore.
>
> Is that possible or I would need a radical approach such as killing
> the mpop instance? If this is not possible yet, I suggest adding a
> fourth return code in the filter command which would tell mpop to
> stop retrieving new headers.

This is not possible yet, because as far as I know it is not guaranteed
that mails will be presented to a POP3 client in the same order on each
query -- though in practice most if not all POP3 servers will not
change the order.

Regards,
Martin