Re: [mpop-users] How to not fetch the mails that have read via other imap clients?

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 06:52:04AM +0200, Martin Lambers wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, 27. Apr 2010, 07:58:56 +0800, Yue Wu wrote:
> > As title, I've have a line "only_new on" in  mpoprc, but after I've marked
> > mails to be read in other mail clients with imap, mpop still fetches these
> > mails into maildir, can I change this behavior, so it will only fetch the
> > *real* unread mails only?
>
> Unfortunately, that does not work, because of limitations of the POP3
> protocol.
>
> In POP3, there is no way to ask the server if a message was read or not.
> The client has to keep track of this itself, by storing the UIDs of
> mails that were retrieved before. This means that every POP3 client has
> a different idea about which mails were read and which were not, because
> it only knows about the mail UIDs that it stored locally.

Get it, thanks you for explanation, I think I have to tolerate with the
current way. imap is nice, but right now,  it's easier and convenient for me
to configure and use combination of mpop, procmail and mutt :)

--
Regards,
Yue Wu

Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
China Pharmaceutical University
No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China