[msmtp-users] authentication failed (method PLAIN)

I'm getting the following error when sending email

---

Jan 10 15:03:15 host=smtp.example.com tls=on auth=on \
user=ben@...455... from=ben@...455... \
recipients=sales@...45... smtpstatus=535 smtpmsg='535 \
Authentication failed' errormsg='authentication failed (method PLAIN)' \
exitcode=EX_NOPERM

---

My config looks like this

---

defaults
auth           on
tls            on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
logfile        ~/.msmtp.log

account        ben
host           smtp.example.com
port           587
from           ben@...455...
user           ben@...455...
passwordeval   "gpg2 -q --for-your-eyes-only --no-tty -d ~/.foo/bar.gpg"

account default : ben

---

Oddly, it only happens some of the time, maybe 30-40%. When the error occurs I just keep hitting 'q' then 'y' in mutt to send again and eventually it sends.

What's annoying is that mutt saves the failed copies to the sent box.

I'm using arch with msmtp version 1.6.6, mutt version 1.9.2

I've asked my email hosting provider if they have any issues, and they say they can't find any. They have also looked at my msmtp config and said it should work.

Anyone encounter this before?