Re: [msmtp-users] Authentication doesn't work with STARTTLS

Hello,

I've been trying to use msmtp as smtp client in order to send emails through a MS Exchange server.
The server accepts unsecure connections and STARTTLS connection, does not accept TLS connections. I have no control over this server.

Using smtp, configured with TLS OFF and AUTH OFF, I can connect and send email only to addresses within the same domain.
Due a security policy in the server, unauthenticated clients can send emails only to addresses in the same domain. (I have no control over this Exchange server)

I used openssl s_client -debug -starttls smtp -crlf -connect <mailservername>:25 and was abel to connect, authenticate and send email to any domain.

But using msmtp, configured with TLS OFF, STARTTLS ON and AUTH ON, I get this message: msmtp: cannot use a secure authentication method

Reading through the code (smtp_init() in smtp.c), msmtp exects that SMTP server respond with just one method per "AUTH" line.

But this server is responding with: "AUTH NTLM LOGIN" (as I see it in the openssl tests). The server is telling two methods in a single line so mstmp is unable to identify "LOGIN" as a supported method.

Would this be considered a bug, or it would be an enhancement?
How could I ask for this bug/enhancement to be attended?

Thanks,
Alexis