Re: [msmtp-users] [mpop-users] support SHA-2 and SHA-3

[Cross-posting to mpop-users and msmtp-users as it applies to both]

Hi!

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 17:33:46 +0200, ilf wrote:
> Currently, mpop(1) sais for tls_fingerprint:
>
> > The fingerprint can be either an SHA1 (recommended) or an MD5
> > fingerprint in the format 01:23:45:67:....
>
> MD5 has been broken since 2008: [...]
>
> SHA-1 is also showing its age: [...]
>
> [...]
>
> I propose to:
>
> - implement support for SHA-2 with its six hash functions
> - implement support for SHA-3
> - drop support for MD5

Thanks for pointing out this problem!

I agree that MD5 needs to go and SHA1 should be avoided. However, let's
not go overboard with alternatives. A quick check suggests that the one
function in current widespread use to report TLS certificate
fingerprints is SHA256 (Firefox, Chrome, various TLS-related websites),
with SHA1 still being usually reported too.

I pushed a patch to both mpop and msmtp that changes the following:
- In --serverinfo, report SHA256 and SHA1 fingerprints but mark the
  latter as deprecated. Don't report MD5 anymore.
- For --tls-fingerprint and tls_fingerprint, accept SHA256 in addition
  to SHA1 and MD5.
- In the documentation, clearly state that SHA256 should be used.

That keeps MD5 supported although it is discouraged. I expect that when
certificates are renewed or replaced and thus fingerprints in the
mpop/msmtp configuration need updating, users will most likely use
--serverinfo to get the new fingerprint and thus update to SHA256
automatically. I see no need to break their configurations now.

Any comments?

Regards,