[msmtp-users] Fingerprints do not match error-how to fix?

I installed msmtp on opensuse 13.2 using yast from the package repositiory.  I modified it according to the documentation and things appear to be working except trying to use TLS.
When I have the following in the mstmprc file: tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
I get the following error:
cannot load trust file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt: error:2D06C06E:FIPS routines:FIPS_module_mode_set:fingerprint does not match

If I comment out the line and add tls_certcheck off, the program appears to work, e.g. I get mail at gmail.

So, I am a novice at cert mgmt, how can this be fixed?

Thanks