Re: [msmtp-users] msmtp: runtime fails with "Bad value for ai_flags"

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 11:04:55 -0600, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
> > I suggest --enable-gai-idn.
> >
> > See the attached patch.
>
> I tested your patch and it works for me with --disable-gai-idn
> defined.
>
> Ship it! :-)

Thanks for testing this. I pushed it to git master, is that good enough
for you or do you need a release?

> BTW, I had a hair-pulling time getting the patched configure.ac
> working, normally in Buildroot setting "MSMTP_AUTORECONF = YES" would
> all that would be needed, but when the AUTORECONF occurred I got...
> -- configure.ac:44: warning: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in
> library configure.ac:44: error: possibly undefined macro:
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT

You need the gettext development package so that autoreconf works (it
will then find the gettext macros).

> > An unrelated question: why are you using glibc without IDN support?
> > Libidn is included in the glibc sources; I cannot see a reason to
> > disable it.
>
> Well, good question...  We (AstLinux: http://www.astlinux.org ) have
> a quite optimized ~ 50 MB image, more of an "appliance" than a
> "distro".  We use Buildroot to cross-compile and an external eglibc
> toolchain created by crosstool-ng.  By default crosstool-ng does not
> include libidn in eglibc, and there was a related crosstool-ng issue
> a couple years ago, but is probably fixed today.  Regardless we don't
> enable anything we don't think we need.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. It's always interesting to
find out where msmtp is used. Although I must admit, after reading the
AstLinux front page I'm still not sure what it actually is, or more
precisely, how it is used :)

Martin