Re: [msmtp-users] GSSAPI error in client

Hi!

On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:49:22 +0000, rochet@...382... wrote:
> $ echo 'some text' | msmtp --account rochet@...382...
> pleaseplease@...384... msmtp: GNU SASL: GSSAPI error in client
> while negotiating security context in gss_init_sec_context() in SASL
> library.  This is most likely due insufficient credentials or
> malicious interactions.

You specify user and password, but msmtp chooses the GSSAPI
authentication method, which is based on something else.

The problem here is that msmtp should choose a traditional
user/password authentication method, not GSSAPI. The workaround
therefore is to choose a suitable method yourself, in your case
probably --auth=login (btw, an SMTP server that only supports
GSSAPI, NTLM, and LOGIN could be considered problematic).

Probably msmtp should never choose GSSAPI automatically, the user
should always request it manually. I will apply a patch to that effect
shortly.

At one time, I added support for GSSAPI to msmtp just for completeness
reasons and to learn about the different methods. I even managed to set
up a test server that handles this kind of thing. But now I think it is
mostly useless, I never heard of anyone actually using this. It seems
messy and overcomplicated and nearly impossible to setup up correctly
or debug. Maybe things have improved, but I doubt it. Does someone here
have experiences with GSSAPI?

Regards,
Martin