Re: [msmtp-users] picking up non-system openssl on OS X

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Martin Lambers <marlam@...23...> wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 19:33:33 -0400, Charles Diza wrote:
> Could somebody please point to how, in theory, I should be able to
> build msmtp against an openssl *other* than the system's version on
> OS X (doesn't matter which version of OS X---I've struck out with
> this on 10.4 through 10.8)?
>
> Specifically, I want to pick up /usr/local/ssl.  I tried
> --with-ssl=openssl, but that invariably uses /usr/lib.
>
> I tried all manner of messing with the pkg-config shellvars shown in
> './configure --help', with no luck.
>
> So I'm hoping someone can tell me what the right way of doing this is.

This should work:
./configure libssl_CFLAGS=... libssl_LIBS=...

Sorry, what I'm asking for is (in part) what should (in theory) go on the right-hand side of 'libssl_CFLAGS=' and 'libssl_LIBS='.  I'm not advanced enough to know what those variables accept.

I *do* know that if I try 'libssl_LIBS=-L/usr/local/ssl' --- which is just a wild guess --- then I get the following make error:

  CCLD   msmtp
  "_ERR_error_string", referenced from:
      _tls_init in tls.o
      _openssl_io_error in tls.o
      _tls_start in tls.o

[A whole bunch more like this, then]

Are you sure it does not? Can you send a config.log?

I am sure that nothing I have tried so far works.  Sometimes I get an error during the make.  Sometimes msmtp builds fine but is simply linked to the wrong ssl (the system one).  The latter is by far the most common result.

What's the policy on this list about sending logs?  Do I send the whole log?  Do I gzip it first?

I have looked through the config logs of many attempts, and the only think that any of them say about ssl is: 'checking for libssl....yes'.

Cheers,
Charles