Re: [msmtp-users] Aliases patch

A mail aliases file serves to provide a centralized location to manage mail addresses and distribution lists.  It is a pretty fundamental feature for an MTA/MSA.  As an example, I develop Linux embedded systems and many of the daemons I install send e-mail to the local root user by default.  Rather than manage each daemon's configuration file with the administrator's real e-mail address, I can stick the address in the aliases file and easily mange it from one place.  I can also send to a group of administrators which most of the daemons do not support.

Msmtp currently supports aliases via find_alias_for_smtp.sh in the scripts directory.  However, that script uses awk and other external utilities which are not necessarily installed on a lightweight embedded system.  Also, from a security perspective, I much prefer native support than a script.  On my x86_64 development system, msmtp went from 104256 to 107208 bytes with the aliases patch, an increase of 2952 bytes.  The find_alias_for_smtp.sh script is 2337 bytes for comparison plus orders of magnitude more for the external utilities.

Cheers,
Scott