Re: [msmtp-users] generate the 'From:' header if missing

Hi Ilya!

On 19/05/11 22:42, Ilya Basin wrote:
> Hi list! I recently switched to yahoo.co.uk mail. My recipients
> receive e-mails from me without the 'From:' header. ('Return-Path:' is
> set correctly though). This didn't happen with other e-mail providers.
> I've set the "from" option and "auto_from" isn't set, but that doesn't
> help. If I add the header to the message myself, all is fine, but I
> don't wan't to, I want to freely switch the accounts.
> Can msmtp create the missing header?

No, this is supposed to be done by your mail user agent. You can still
freely switch accounts: choose the From address in your MUA, and let
msmtp automatically choose the right account for this From address (you
can use the --read-envelope-from option for this purpose).

Note that the envelope from address is not the same as the From header:
the former is only used in the SMTP envelope, and the latter is used in
the mail itself, and both can differ (though they usually are identical).

Martin