Re: [msmtp-users] Mail to root

On Fri, 12. Feb 2010, 18:43:19 -0500, Nathan Weston wrote:
> I'm using msmtp on my desktop machine to get output from cron jobs, etc
> at my usual email address instead of a local mailbox.
>
> Unforunately, cron will sometimes send email to root, and msmtp will try
> to deliver such messages to root on my ISP's SMTP server, leading to
> cranky phone calls from their sysadmins.
>
> I can set the MAILTO environment variable in cron. But if I screw that
> up, or some other program decides to send mail to root, I'll have the
> same problem, and I won't know it's happening until the poor admin gets
> sick of it and calls me again.
>
> Is there a way for smtp to either a) use an alias for root or b) reject
> email when the to address has no domain? Or is there some other way
> around this problem?

While msmtp can be used as a minimal, special-purpose system MTA, this
is not its main purpose and it lacks many important features of a real
MTA.

For your situation, msmtp should support /etc/aliases and/or local
deliveries.

It is possible to restructure msmtp and integrate support for these
features. This is suggested repeatedly, but I currently do not have
the time to do this myself. However, patches are welcome :)

In the meantime, it may be a good idea to have a look at real MTAs
to solve your problem.

Martin