Re: [msmtp-users] Problems with config file ownership

* John Brown (john.j.b.brown@...202...) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a small file server at home running Ubuntu server 8.04 and I set
> up SMART hard disk monitoring following the instructions at:
> http://blog.shadypixel.com/monitoring-hard-drive-health-on-linux-with-smartmontools/
>

> Then I followed the guide at
> http://www.klenwell.com/press/2009/03/ubuntu-email-with-mailx/
>
> to set up mail using mailx and msmtp so that the server can send me
> automatically SMART warnings to my address at an ISP, however I cannot
> resolve the following problem:
>
> If I (USER) own the /home/USER/.msmtprc file, I can send email from the
> command line when I ssh to the server as USER, but the smartd daemon
> cannot and in /var/log/daemon there is the following message:
> /
>     //etc/smartmontools/run.d/10mail: send-mail: /home/USER//.msmtprc:
> must be owned by you Can't send mail: sendmail process failed /
> And the other way round: if I chown the /home/USER/.msmtprc to root, the
> daemon can send the mail, but I can't.
>
> Any idea what I do wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Zdenek

msmtp supports a system wide configuration file (its location is distro
dependant, but you can find it by typing msmtp --version), and a
user configuration file that overrides the system one if it exists.

For instance, on Arch Linux the system wide conf file is located in
/etc/msmtprc

I would try setting the system wide one as it is usually not set by default.
This way the system will have its configuration, and as a user, your
~/.msmtprc file will have precedence when using your own account.

--
 Kind Regards,
 Jaime