[msmtp-users] DSN requirement?

I just downloaded and installed msmtp as I use mutt.

I'm curious about the requirement that the SMTP server support DSN.
My ISP's mail server does not support DSNs which caused msmtp not
to work.

I commented out the check in msmtp.c and then found that smtp.c seems
to support DSNs conditionally.  Specifically:

                if (dsn_return)
                {
                    e = smtp_send_cmd(srv, errstr, "MAIL FROM:<%s> RET=%s",
                            strcasecmp(envelope_from, "MAILER-DAEMON") == 0
                            ? "" : envelope_from, dsn_return);
                }
                else
                {
                    e = smtp_send_cmd(srv, errstr, "MAIL FROM:<%s>",
                            strcasecmp(envelope_from, "MAILER-DAEMON") == 0
                            ? "" : envelope_from);
                }

My mail server was horking on the RET obviously, so I tried several options
to see if I could configurationally turn off dsns, but never appeared to
be able to.  So I commented out the if check above and went only with the
else case for both dsn_return and dsn_notify and msmtp works perfectly for
me now.

Am I missing a much simplier way of not using DSNs?  I did not see anything
that makes the server capability check optional or anything in the configuration
file to turn them off permanently.

Thanks,
-Andrew