Re: [msmtp-users] fetchmail with msmtp

On Wed, 29. Aug 2007, 11:59:40 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Aug 29 11:48:14 host=10.4.0.1 tls=off auth=off from=<>
> recipients=nbecker@...121... smtpstatus=501 smtpmsg='501 <<>>:
> missing or malformed local part' errormsg='envelope from address <> not
> accepted by the server' exitcode=EX_DATAERR

I think the problem are envelope from addresses of the form '<>'. This
is not a mail address; no SMTP server will accept it. I do not know why
fetchmail constructs these addresses. Perhaps it means the special
MAILER-DAEMON address instead?

> These same messages just keep accumulating.  Every time fetchmail runs, it
> tries again the same deliveries.  How do I teach it these are permanent
> failures?

According to its man page, fetchmail will only discard mails when using
its built-in SMTP delivery and the server returns certain error codes.
So I guess you can't. But I think the real problem are the '<>'
addresses. You could try to replace them with MAILER-DAEMON.

Martin