Re: [msmtp-users] "mail" command wrapper for msmtp or sendmail?

--- Martin Lambers <marlam@...23...> wrote:

> The mailx package provided by Debian is very small. The /usr/bin/mail
> executable is just 84K on i386 systems and only depends on
> liblockfile.
> It normally calls sendmail, but it can be configured to call msmtp
> instead
> (http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html#Using-msmtp-with-mail).
>
> OK, it has a simple interface to read mails that you do not need, but
> that's all. I don't think that mailx+msmtp is heavyweight.

Well, it's not heavyweight in the sense of code size, but it certainly
contains significant user interface machinery and mail
reading/manipulation/storage code that are wholly unnecessary and
unwanted for the application I describe (and most unix systems in
environments such as HPC clusters, etc.).

It seems this has not annoyed anyone else to the point of writing the
"wrapper" type program or script that I was looking for, or at least no
one has made such a thing public.  I had supposed that as with msmtp's
"pretend to be a limited subset of sendmail, but just take and send the
message to another host" philosophy, an analogous program/script would
have been written for mail/mailx.

Oh well, I guess I'll either have to try to neuter the mailx program as
much as possible through configuration, or write a "sendmail"/msmtp
wrapper script that handles the few cases where various system software
is expecting to do "mail -s blahblah ..." etc.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.