Re: [msmtp-users] Using msmtp with Sendmail

Robert Thorsby wrote:
On 2007.05.08 05:09 Teresa Havel wrote:

I have perl scripts that are integrated with
Sendmail to automatically send email to an
address list.  I would like to use the perl
scripts as they are written, but direct the
resulting emails to go through msmtp so
they can be sent to another server for final delivery.  Is it
possible to use msmtp in
this way?

Msmtp has no ability to flush a mail queue so if your scripts are set
up to dump an email into a queue for each addressee and then send all
mail in one connection it won't work. However, if your scripts create
one email then send it then drop the upstream connection, create the
next email then send it then drop the upstream connection, create the
next email ..., you can do this with msmtp.

Alternatively, if your scripts create one email with multiple
recipients on the To, Cc and/or Bcc lines, then msmtp will handle that.

Yes, the script creates one email with multiple recipients like you state.  They average only about a dozen at a time.  It is not spam.  It is weather notification messages for Emergency Managers and other local government officials.  The sample script located here:  http://www.perlfect.com/articles/sendmail.shtml ,is a template of what my script follows.  How would I then take the email that is generated from this script and route it to msmtp so msmtp can send it to our .gov email server for final delivery?  Thanks.
P.S.  Is my follow-up question format ok or should I have posted this back differently?  I am not familiar with a list working like this, thanks.

The short answer is: msmtp will work (and work very well) with scripts
but it will not do bulk mailings. For bulk email you will have to
install an email forwarder that (a) can put mail into a queue, and (b)
can then send all mail previously deposited in that queue. Linux help
lines simply will NOT assist you in this regard because of the
possibility(probability) that any such application will be used for
spamming.

If your need is genuine (not spamming) then you will have to install a
mailing list manager, such as mailman, or an MTA with "queue and flush"
capabilities. For "queue and flush" both nullmailer (which is what I
use) and email-relay (which I haven't tried) have the added advantage
that the queue that they create is unique to them -- this means that
you can use nullmailer or email-relay for bulk mailing exclusively and
still use sendmail (or msmtp or whatever) for "ordinary" mail.

HTH,
Robert Thorsby

begin:vcard
fn:Teresa Havel
n:Havel;Teresa
org:NOAA's National Weather Service/Green Bay, WI
adr;dom:;;2485 South Point Road;Green Bay;WI;54313
email;internet:teresa.m.havel@...104...
title:Information Technology Officer
tel;work:920 494-5845 x486
note:NOAA/NWS Green Bay