[msmtp-users] help with problem : server sending empty reply

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get a little help on using msmpt to send email via my earthlink account.

Earthlink has a non-authenticated smtp server...which I can easily use to send mail. However I cannot use the authenticated earthlink server to send mail. I was wondering is this something I can correct or is this was a problem with Earthlink or even msmtp itself ??

I did all this from the command line to keep it simple here is what happened :

when I try to send a simple email vis smtp.earthlink.net, here is the command I used:

msmtp --host=smtp.earthlink.net danpuperi2@...31... -f danpuperi@...31... --debug > output 2>&1

The message successfully sent. Here is the output file which resulted in no errors:

host = smtp.earthlink.net
port = 25
timeout = off
protocol = smtp
domain = localhost
auth = none
user = (not set)
password = (not set)
ntlmdomain = (not set)
tls = off
tls_trust_file = (not set)
tls_key_file = (not set)
tls_cert_file = (not set)
tls_starttls = on
tls_certcheck = on
auto_from = off
maildomain = (not set)
from = danpuperi@...31...
dsn_notify = (not set)
dsn_return = (not set)
keepbcc = off
logfile = (not set)
syslog = (not set)
reading recipients from the command line
<-- 220-pop-cowbird.atl.sa.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 3.36 #10 Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:07:22 -0500 <-- 220-NO UCE. EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or network <-- 220 equipment to deliver, accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited e-mail.
--> EHLO localhost
<-- 250-pop-cowbird.atl.sa.earthlink.net Hello my.machine.net [##.##.###.###]
<-- 250-SIZE 14680064
<-- 250-PIPELINING
<-- 250 HELP
--> MAIL FROM:<danpuperi@...31...>
--> RCPT TO:<danpuperi2@...31...>
--> DATA
<-- 250 <danpuperi@...31...> is syntactically correct
<-- 250 <danpuperi2@...31...> is syntactically correct
<-- 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
--> hi
--> .
<-- 250 OK id=1EmwZf-000226-00
--> QUIT
<-- 221 pop-cowbird.atl.sa.earthlink.net closing connection

However, when I send a message using the following command :
msmtp --host=smtpauth.earthlink.net --auth=on danpuperi2@...31... -f danpuperi@...31... --user=danpuperi --debug > output_auth 2>&1

I get an error and the output looks like this :

msmtp: the server sent an empty reply
msmtp: could not send mail
host            = smtpauth.earthlink.net
port            = 25
timeout         = off
protocol        = smtp
domain          = localhost
auth            = choose
user            = danpuperi
password        = (not set)
ntlmdomain      = (not set)
tls             = off
tls_trust_file  = (not set)
tls_key_file    = (not set)
tls_cert_file   = (not set)
tls_starttls    = on
tls_certcheck   = on
auto_from       = off
maildomain      = (not set)
from            = danpuperi@...31...
dsn_notify      = (not set)
dsn_return      = (not set)
keepbcc         = off
logfile         = (not set)
syslog          = (not set)
reading recipients from the command line
<-- 220-smtpauth08.mail.atl.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 4.34 #1 Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:07:41 -0500 <-- 220-NO UCE. EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or network
<-- 220 equipment to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited e-mail.
--> EHLO localhost
<-- 250-smtpauth08.mail.atl.earthlink.net Hello localhost [##.##.###.###]
<-- 250-SIZE 14680064
<-- 250-PIPELINING
<-- 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
<-- 250-STARTTLS
<-- 250 HELP
--> AUTH CRAM-MD5
<-- 334 PDE5MjcxLjExMzQ2NjY0NjVAc210cGF1dGgwOC5tYWlsLmF0bC5lYXJ0aGxpbmsubmV0Pg==
--> ZGFucHVwZXJpIDUzNjBmYmEyN2I1ZjlkNjNjNzRlY2U3NzQ1MWQzMDlm

It asks for my password and then promptly exits. I guarentee its not a password problem - I've done it too many times. The one thing I noticed that may or may not matter is that the non-authenticated earthlink server resolved my IP address into a hostname, however the authenticated server resolved my IP address to "localhost". (I edited my IP address and hostname for security purposes)

Any ideas ? I initally set up a .msmtprc config file and everything was set up to work with Mutt. But I couldn't get it to work, so thats why I went to the command like for simplicity. When I try to use TLS, I get a different error...if you want I can provide the output from that also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And oh yeah....When I run the command : msmtp --version

I get this result :

msmtp version 1.4.4
NLS: enabled, LOCALEDIR is /usr/local/share/locale
TLS/SSL library: OpenSSL
Authentication library: built-in
Supported authentication methods:
plain cram-md5 external login
System configuration file name: /usr/local/etc/msmtprc
User configuration file name: /home/danielp/.msmtprc

Copyright (C) 2004, 2005 Martin Lambers and others.

Thanks

Dan