Re: [msmtp-users] Can't agree on authentication

On Fri, 24. Dec 2004, 16:54:55 -0800, Andy Davidson wrote:
> When I try to send an email through pheon.com, I get this output:
>     msmtp: cannot agree on authentication mechanism
>     msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/andyd/.msmtprc)
>     using account default from /home/andyd/.msmtprc:
>     host            = mail.pheon.com
> [...]
>     auth            = choose
> [...]
>     tls             = false
> [...]
>     --> EHLO localhost
>     <-- 250-server74.totalchoicehosting.com Hello localhost [130.94.165.242]
>     <-- 250-SIZE 52428800
>     <-- 250-PIPELINING
>     <-- 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
>     <-- 250-STARTTLS
>     <-- 250 HELP
> [...]

The server supports the authentication methods PLAIN and LOGIN. Both
methods send the password unencrypted over the net, so msmtp refuses to
choose one of them. You have two possibilities:
1. Force msmtp to use one of the methods by adding for example
   "auth plain" to the configuration file (not recommended)
2. Activate TLS which encrypts all communication with the SMTP server.
   In this case msmtp has no problem to choose PLAIN or LOGIN, because
   the password is encrypted.
   Add the "tls" and "tls_nocertcheck" commands to the configuration file.
   This is for msmtp 1.2.4; if you want to try 1.3.1, add the commands
   "auth on", "tls on", and "tls_certcheck off" to your configuration
   file.

The "tls_certcheck off" command is necessary because the TLS certificate
of mail.pheon.com is not issued for mail.pheon.com but for some other
host.

Martin