Re: [mpop-users] socks proxy support

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM, ilf <ilf@...31...> via mpop-users:
> I've been using mpop and msmtp with Tor for years, but only with the "hack"
> of using the torsocks wrapper: https://code.google.com/p/torsocks/

That code branch is dead, the last tarball release being...
http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/torsocks-1.3.tar.gz
http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/torsocks-1.3.tar.gz.asc

Torsocks is now a Tor project and can be found here (incl v2.x and v1.3 tags)...
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torsocks.git

It's important to note that if you're compiling msmtp/mpop (or any
other tool/app) statically for use in jails or standalone/dedicated
environments, torsocks is not an option.

Socat is also useful but harder to setup...
http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/download/

And you can funnel everything through Tor with your firewall.

> I'd love to use the local socks proxy directly, but AFAICT mpop and msmtp
> don't support it.
> Would adding socks proxy support be complicated?
> Or is it included already and I just didn't find it?

That said, SOCKS support would be nice since it would eliminate the
need for any of the above shims. Though specifically it needs to be
SOCKS version 5, with IPv4 and IPv6 transport, and all DNS queries
must be passed through it as well, return codes handled, etc.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1928
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS

Don't forget to use the TLS fingerprint (and cert) checking features of
msmtp and mpop, especially via Tor.