Re: [mpop-users] Connecting to pop3 server fails with 'unknown protocol' error by SSL routine

Edwin van der Horst wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have cross-compiled mpop to run on an Marvell XScale ARM9 platform.
> with limited busybox fs
> When I try to connect to the GMail POP server it mpop returns with a
> unknown protocol header.
> I'm lost at this point...
> Does anyone have a clue what's going wrong here?
> Thanks
>
> root@...29...:/mpop/bin# mpop --serverinfo --host=pop.gmail.com
> --port=995 --tls=on --tls-starttls=off --tls-certcheck=on
> --tls-trust-file=/mpop/bin/trust.cer
> mpop: TLS handshake failed: error:140770FC:SSL
> routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

I'm guessing that you're using a cut-down SSL library which doesn't
support whatever the gmail pop server is wanting to use.  Try using
openssl s_client and looking at your ssl library's code...

BTW, I run mpop against gmail on a Marvell ARM under Debian, so it's
unlikely to be any sort of CPU-specific bug, I'd have thought...

Ta,

Tim.