Re: [mpop-users] BUG: mpop counts UIDs in .mpop_uidls/* wrong

Hi Robert!

On Thu, 04. Sep 2008, 22:25:39 +0200, Robert Siemer wrote:
> mpop stopped working suddenly (I ran it with cron since months):
>
> mpop: /home/xxx/.mpop_uidls/xxx_at_xxx.upm.es, line
> 92: too few UIDs for user xxx, host xxx.upm.es
> mpop: error during mail retrieval (account default from
> /home/xxx/.mpoprc)
>
> After looking into .mpop_uidls/... I found out, that the only group it
> has is fine: marked as having 85 entries and it has 85 lines under it. -
> I can add a line or double a real UID to make mpop work, but it corrects
> the file again, making the next run of mpop unsuccessful.
>
> Has mpop an issue with the magic number 85?
>
> The server has 85 messages, which I already have.
>
> I attach the UID-list file.

Thanks for your bug report. The reason for the failure is a bug in the
code that reads the UID-list file. It treats all lines starting with a
'#' as comments, and the following UID is therefore ignored:

> #<T!!b('!!`b8!!Oo\!!

I applied a patch that now disallows comments after the first
non-comment line (which must start with a space), so that UIDs starting
with '#' are no longer ignored.  The patch can be seen here:
http://mpop.cvs.sourceforge.net/mpop/mpop/src/uidls.c?r1=1.18&r2=1.19

I uploaded a fixed version of mpop to
http://www.marlam.de/mpop-1.0.15pre1.tar.bz2
(the patch is the only change since 1.0.14). Using this version with
the UID-list file that you sent (which is correct) should work again.

The bug was never hit before because most servers use UIDs consisting
only of letters and numbers, but of course a '#' inside UIDs is allowed.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this bug has caused.

Martin